Thursday, December 3, 2009

About 12 years ago....

at a 7th grade dance with my boyfriend Joel.....I was so head over heels for him. He was skinny and cute and was in choir with me. A dream boat of a boy and we went to Teen Night together. Oh what a magical place it was, slow dancing, basketball in the gym, bingo and cheap snacks. It was that night that we found "our song" - How do I live? by Leann Rimes

How do I,
Get through the night without you?
If I had to live without you,
What kind of life would that be?
Oh, I
I need you in my arms, need you to hold,
You're my world, my heart, my soul,
If you ever leave,
Baby you would take away everything good in my life,

We danced closer as the song played on, I could tell that he was smelling my hair or maybe my neck. I was probably wearing some wild, hippie outfit (as was my style back in those days) and I would assume he was wearing a stripped shirt and jeans (don't ask me how I remember those things.

And tell me now
How do I live without you?
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?

Without you,
There'd be no sun in my sky,
There would be no love in my life,
There'd be no world left for me.
And I,
Baby I don't know what I would do,
I'd be lost if I lost you,
If you ever leave,
Baby you would take away everything real in my life,

He was my first "real" boyfriend. My friend Ashley set us up, he lived up the street from her. I think we dated for 7 months, he was my first on the cheek kiss, my first date to a school dance, but like most 7th grade love it was fleeting and didn't last forever. But even now when I hear that Leann Rimes song I think of that night and that dance. I spent many more of those teen nights with other boys but when they would play that song I would tell them I couldn't dance with them, maybe I said I had to go to the bathroom or something, because that was my song with Joel.

And tell me now,
How do I live without you?
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?

Please tell me baby,
How do I go on?

If you ever leave,
Baby you would take away everything,
I need you with me,
Baby don't you know that you're everything,
Real in my life?

And tell me now,
How do I live without you,
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?

Today I'm participating in Writers Workshop over at Mama Kat's so get on over there and do the same :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha! Oh, those were the days. I didn't meet you until the next year, but we've discussed that relationship before. Who would've thought that we wouldn't marry the guys we dated back then!! Ha ha.

Amanda said...

I love it! Weaving Leann Rimes in there was a nice touch. Oh, thanks! It's in my head now!

Amanda said...

Yes Caitlyn, it is quite sad....lol but think about how serious that was back then!

Suzie, that song is an earworm!