Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer vacation, puh-lease

I thought that not working this summer would mean lots of time for fun things. I knew school would consume a decent amount of time, but not ALL of my time.

Well I was wrong, so who needs a summer vacation when you could...STUDY till your eyes fall out of your head!

For one class I had to do the following: read six novels (which included one Shakespeare play, King Lear, which I did not enjoy), write three rather long essays and participate in class discussions and journaling on a weekly basis. I loved the professor and she made most of what we did fun, but a 4 hour class that is once a week - well there is only so much that a person can take. Thankfully for our final, she let us use our notes and I ended up with an 'A-' in the class!

Then just when I thought the fun couldn't get any better my Spanish class started. I haven't taken Spanish in about four years, so I knew this was not going to be easy. I was lucky to have a tutor who was fluent and could help me with my homework, and boy was there a lot of homework! Everything was done with an "online workbook" which had multiple choice and written sections along with parts where you had to listen to someone speaking Spanish and then write about what they said. Sounds fun, right?! And my professor was really hardcore - she wasn't exactly nice when someone asked a question and liked to assume that everyone was a native speaker!

So who needs a vacation, well certainly not me. I'd much rather sit in my air conditioned house or the school library, reading books and writing papers then sit on a beach and play in the ocean.

Mama's Losin' It

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Well, at least you got a good grade! To bad you had to sit in class or studying all summer though!
What about taking your books to the beach???

Anonymous said...

Oh my... that does NOT sound very fun at all! I'm thinking about going back to school but dragging my heels for sure.

mypixieblog said...

Congrats on getting a great grade in your class! It's tough taking classes/working in general in the summer.

I like Jackie's suggestion of taking your books to the beach though :)