Monday, February 16, 2015

Goodbye dear friend

Today we said goodbye to our dear, sweet basset hound Bessie.  She was about 16 years old.  Last week, we noticed she wasn't eating as well took her to the vet and got her on some medicine for a tooth infection.  We figured she would get back to feeling better and everything would be okay.  Then she stopped eating and drinking, she got sick fast and we knew there wasn't much we could do.  We took her into the vet this morning and said our goodbyes, we cried and held her and told her how much we loved her and how much she would be missed.  It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Bessie was your typical basset hound, smart (maybe too smart), smelly, noisy, lazy and a great family dog.  She adored Andrew since he rescued her from near death when he got out of high school.  She was tied up with another dog, had a broken leg and was almost starved to death.

When we first started dating, she did everything with us.  We used to walk down to the McDonald's in town and get her a little cup of ice cream, take her out on the boat, go for nice walks picnics and even camping.  She loved a mild spring day, taking a sun bath, sleeping, stealing food or begging for food, following her snout and just being loved.
7 years ago when I first met Bessie





The day Bessie came back home, Jeanette was about a week old.
I found this lovely poem and wanted to share.

   So this is where we part, My Friend, 
   and you'll run on, around the bend,
   gone from sight, but not from mind, 
   new pleasures there you'll surely find.

   I will go on, I'll find the strength, 
   life measures quality, not its length.
   One long embrace before you leave, 
   share one last look, before I grieve.

   There are others, that much is true,
   but they be they, and they aren't you. 
   And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought, 
   will remember well all you've taught.

   Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
   the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed. 
   And as you journey to your final rest, 
   take with you this...I loved you best.

"I loved you best" - by Jim Willis

2 comments:

mypixieblog said...

I think my comment just disappeared :( I'm sorry for the duplicate if the other one goes through.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I know there's not much that I can say to take away that pain but it sounds to me that Bessie lived a wonderful life and that she was loved every minute of it. Bless you both for taking her in and giving her the best things life has to offer--I have to imagine she'll be infinitely grateful to you for that.

XOXO and wishing you much peace.

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

I feel so bad for you. I can't imagine. I'm glad you guys were able to give her a happy, happy life.