Wednesday, September 21, 2011

chicken


My brother bought 6 freshly hatched chicks in early spring, 3 barred rocks and 3 golden comets that had a 97% chance of being females. Of the 50 chickens that the store sold, there was only one rooster in the bunch and Adam was lucky enough to get him. We knew pretty quick he was different since he grew twice as fast and his tail started to fill in different. Needless to say, in true Rooster fashion, Mr. Cogburn is a nasty little guy. He's really beautiful and can crow with the best of them, but you better watch out when he's roaming with his 5 ladies.

Just today, he laid into my grandma (my brother is keeping the chickens in a coop he built at their house) and got her good in the leg with his spur. Adam is putting him in Craigslist to trade for more hens as we speak. The hens should be laying eggs soon and I can't wait to get some of the eggs since free-range organic eggs at the store are so expensive.

I'd love to have a little flock of chickens of my own, but they are a lot more work than people might think and with my crazy work hours I know I wouldn't have the time. Hopefully Mr. Cogburn finds a nice home with a new flock of ladies to protect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma. Every time I think about chickens for some reason I laugh and say in my head, "Ha ha! Chickens!" He is pretty though. Also, ha ha, Mr. Cogburn.