Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pre-cana

For those who are wondering what the title of my post means, pre-cana is a pre-marriage class that the Catholic Church requires couples to take before getting married.  Other married couples from the church, old and young, with or without children and all with different life experiences teach the class twice a year in one of their homes.

This was our weekend to attend.  I'm not going to lie, I wasn't very excited about spending all this time talking about things I figured Andrew and I had already discussed. I was also worried about being chastised because we live together and the Catholic Church shuns co-habitation. 

Topics of Conversation:

Family of Origin
Communication
Goals and Values
Intimacy and Natural Family Planning
Spirituality

I was pleasantly surprised that the experience really wasn't all that bad and that we had some time to talk without everyday distractions.  I felt wonderful knowing that we have already had many important discussions about money, children, our future goals and how our families have shaped us.  It also makes me feel great that we get along with eachother's parents and it seemed that the three other couples in our class did as well.  

I will say that the talk on Intimacy and Natural Family Planning was a little uncomfortable and strange.  The couple who taught that portion was awkward to say the least and showed the corniest video of all these smiling couples, going on and on about how with-holding from "relations" helped their relationship.  I'm still very undecided on that portion of the day along with the general idea of having kids.  I'm sure with time I will come to a decision with the help of Andrew.

Though it was a long day, I feel thankful that our church makes this an important part of preparing for marriage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a good experience! If you ever want to talk about the pros and cons of kids, I'd love to have a conversation with you! Not in a "try to convince you to do it" way, just to give you a chance to talk through it with a friend who has been there! I miss you!