Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Our Honeymoon

 
 Our honeymoon was sort of a throw together last month plan to get away for a week and relax.  We knew we couldn't afford a lavish trip since we were still trying to make improvements to our home and didn't want to put a vacation on our credit card.  We planned to drive down to Kentucky and take our boat so we could check out some of the amazing lakes.  I caved and said I would camp for a few days and that we could stay in a lodge/hotels the rest of the vacation.  I also didn't want to be far from home in case something happened to my grandfather while we were gone. 
 
We arrived at our first stop, Cave Run Lake on Monday and the weather was lovely!  We set up our tent and went to check out the lake which was just down the hill from our site and a trail was already made to get there!  The lake was beautiful (as you can see below) and because it is set down in the mountains, the water never gets choppy.  Its also known for holding some record setting Muskie (huge fish with teeth that Andrew likes to catch).  We launched our boat and tied it up near our campsite so we could go on the lake as we pleased.

Cave Run Lake Campground Boat Launch
 
We ventured into town afterwards to get gas and find a place to eat, town (which was Morehead, KY) was not very big and the only non-fast food place to eat was BW3's which we both hate but we decided to give it a shot anyways.  We came back, went out on the boat to watch the sunset, came back, built a fire, sat and talked and had a nice evening. 

When we woke up on Tuesday (at 5am) Andrew felt the urge to go fishing, all I wanted to do was sleep so he ventured out on his own.  When I finally crawled out of bed, I realized it was FREEZING outside and starting to get pretty dark and cloudy.  I checked the weather on my phone to see that the chance of rain had gone from 20% to 80% overnight and by the time Andrew came back, it was pouring!  We drove around most of the day trying to find something to do without any luck, had a late lunch and by dusk it finally quit raining.  We took the boat out for a cruise to the other side of the lake which made for some good photos.  That night, racoons invaded our campsite while I cooked hamburgers, scared me to the point that I screamed bloody murder and we had a good laugh for the rest of the night around the campfire over a few beers.
Crusin

My love and the moon
 
By Wednesday I was totally over camping and we knew it was just going to keep raining so we headed for Cumberland Falls and booked an extra night at the lodge.  We made a few pit stops along the way at the Red River Gorge Geological Area, which was beautiful and broke up the long drive through the mountains.


Devils Gorge

Resorted log cabin that was once the post office for the area.
 
When we arrived, I realized that the lodge looked nothing like the pictures online, the girl at the front desk was a total airhead and couldn't even process our payment right and our room was the size of a tin can.  The area around the hotel was beautiful and the falls were amazing. 

Bridge over the Cumberland River near Cumberland falls


Cumberland falls
 
We knew there wasn't enough to do in the area for two days so we headed towards Lake Cumberland and then decided to move onto Mammoth Cave after that and find a place to stay.

Lake Cumberland, I could not believe the size of this lake.

Lake Cumberland was pretty neat, its not the busy season there in the fall so we got to see a lot of houseboats tied up to dock and floated around for an hour or so before we got bored.  The water was beautiful and clear and the cliff and beach shorelines were really something amazing.  I'd love to go back in the summer.

Our last stop of the trip was Mammoth Cave, which I was the most excited about.  Though the day took a sad turn, while we were eating lunch my brother called to tell us my grandpa had passed away.  Since we already purchased our tour tickets, we decided to take the two hour tour and then head back to Ohio.  I'm glad that we stayed and took the tour because it was spectacular!
In the drapery room, probably the most amazing part.

Looking up from the huge stairs we went down to get into the cave

Though I was a little disappointed with some of the trip, it was fun and it was nice to get away.  Our next vacation will be in June to the beach and I cannot even explain how excited I am to go!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, I think I must have psychically channeled the scene where you screamed bloody murder at raccoons because I can SEE it! I laughed so hard!

Also, Jordan lives in Morehead! I wish you would have run into him, he would have been so awkward, ha ha.

I'm still sorry about your grandpa and I hope everything is going well for you guys! I miss you!

Aleta said...

I admire that you did the camping, because I'm not the camping type. Been there, done that and not doing it again. Love nature, but give me a cabin with a bed and bathroom :)

Beautiful pictures, especially loved the moon and your husband and also the bridge and falls.

Sending prayers for you and your family, so sorry about your grandpa.