I saw this post on one of my favorite blogs, Down at Fraggle Rock and I just knew that I had to participate! Now that it's 7 years later and I'm a momma to be, it's probably a good time to sit down and share some insight with 21 year old Amanda!
Dear 21 year old Amanda,
This is going to be quite the year. Right now you think that life is going great, even if your grades aren't that good, your finally able to go drink in a bar without washing the X off your hand. Your boyfriend helped you throw an awesome party for your 21st complete with Taco Bell and throwing up all night. Party on Wayne! But here's a heads up about some things.....
- I know you think you're in love now, but honey he is not the one. You're going to meet him in a few years, I promise and when this relationship ends it's going to tear you apart. You're going to cry for weeks, not eat and camp out in your room. You will think that you will never get over him, but trust me you will and it's going to take a long time.....way longer than you can even imagine. Some things are not meant to be but I promise that you both will end up happy and in the end, that's all that matters.
- The guy you meet after him, he's not the one either. Yes, you were in love with him once too and now all those feelings are flooding back, have fun with him and take it all in stride when it doesn't work out. This one is not going to break you as bad as the last. The two of you will have a ton of fun but it will get intense and long distance (as you know) is not easy.
- You should probably try a little harder in school instead of wasting so much time partying and being a total slacker. You might regret it some years down the road when you're 25 and going back to finish your degree.
- Be sure to make your friends a priority, not just some of them ALL OF THEM! They are going to be in your life for a long time and you need to make sure they know how much they mean to you!
- Be there for your family too, some really rough times are going to happen here in a couple years and they will need you more than ever before.
- Stop going tanning, just stop. You don't want to look like a crocodile and those moles on your back are just going to get bigger.
- Take better care of yourself, go for a walk if you don't want to work out, quit eating so much junk and take your face away from the TV and computer every now and then.
- Your parents are worried about you and they have every right, try to settle it down a little and remember that they love you. About 7 years from now, when you find out your pregnant, you will finally start to understand where they are coming from.
- By the time it's getting close to your 22nd birthday, you're going to come to quite the crossroads with your life, so try to enjoy things now. It's fine to go out all night EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE and to stay up late with your girlfriends, to dance till your legs hurt and to dress like a bit of a whore. Cut your hair, dye it brown, you're only young once!
Your older, wiser 28 year old pregnant and married self :)