Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It finally hits close to home.......

As of Friday, my brother was laid off from his job.....I honestly never thought that this shitty economy would have such an impact on my family, but it has. Adam went to work Monday and Tuesday since his foreman told him just to come in anyway until they figured out if he could finish off the job since its 2 weeks from completion and they are short on carpenters. Last night he found out that he cannot go into work anymore and is now officially laid off (thats why I didn't mention anything to a lot of people until now). Every single carpentry apprentice was laid off, mostly because they are low on the scale of employee and because a majority of them are ages 18-21, no kids and living at home. They don't know when he will have work again, but because he has so many banked hours (around 700 I believe, idk exactly how it works) he gets unemployment for up to 6 months and health insurance that whole time as well instead of Cobra.

Last night he didn't want to be around anyone and he and I just sat and watched TV not saying a word to one another. I am just so scared that next it will be my dad.....I could hardly sleep last night wondering what is going to happen to my family. We are just a middle class family of 4 with a mortgage and a nice home. What I am most scared of is that we will loose our house since my dad is the bread winner of the household. Not even winning the Salesman of the Year Award is going to keep him from loosing his job in his opinion but it might help him get another job within the company.

The only thing that I can really do at this point is be strong for my family, but that's hard too. I don't really have much Christmas spirit this year seeing as how there are so many people out their struggling and barely making ends meet. I'd like to start volunteering or doing something within my community and I think I may have found a project that interests me.....more details to come soon......

Well just needed to get all of that out......I better get to work.....

1 comment:

Mel said...

Your dad will be fine if he just got awarded for his performance. They will not let him go entirely... they may change his job title, but they will not get rid of him. That would be idiotic on their part (and not just from a personal, subjective standpoint).

How's your job holding up? Do you feel pretty secure there? I hope Adam finds another job soon, and that everyone else keeps theirs.