Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekend Wrap-Up

Every other week I have to work till 6pm on Fridays to take minutes at a meeting and this Friday was one of them.  Andrew was up at his parents house working on a project, so I went over and had dinner with my brother and his wife and hung out with them until Andrew came home.

Saturday we had tickets to the Dayton Air Show and we were supposed to go with Andrew's sister and her husband but she was sick, so Andrew, myself and his brother-in-law all headed out to Dayton.  We started out at the Air Force Museum, which much to my surprise was FREE and really amazing.  There were four hangers (or more) filled with planes, engines, military wear, photos and different artifact starting in the 1800's with the Wright brothers and going all the way to the modern day drones and stealth bombers.  We headed to the air show around 11am and we could not have expected how they day was about to end up.

We walked around and looked at the planes as well as the different booths for the military branches.  Due to the sequester/budget cuts none of the military planes were able to fly this year.  We sat down to eat our lunch just as the planes started flying for the air show, we saw two jets and then the third act, a wing walker, got started.  Her act was pretty amazing and dangerous but really neat to watch.  She started out on the top wing of the biplane and would move around as the plane did dips and twisted upside down.   As they neared the last stunt, the plane took a dip and was in front of the crowd towards the front of the field when all of a sudden we saw a huge explosion.  The plane had crashed and instantly ignited.  The entire crowd gasped collectively and no one knew what to do.  I think my heart, as well as Andrew and Clarks, stopped beating for a minute.  The pilot and the wing walker both died upon impact and it was so incredibly sad.  The air show was shut down for the remainder of the day.  In shock, but not ready to go home, we headed back to the museum to walk around and see the rest of the planes.  We came home, grabbed some take-out and relaxed for the remainder of the night.  Seeing the crash several more times on the local and national news was even more depressing.

Sunday was a day of errands for me and more work for Andrew.  I've found that I have been growing increasingly annoyed with people in general and I'm going to blame it on the pregnancy. My trip to the grocery store involved a lady giving me the finger, for no reason other than her being impatient.  After my lovely trip to the store, I came home to attempt to finish up the laundry but of course my evening nausea had to kick in and I didn't get much accomplished.  We relaxed for the night when Andrew got home and then headed to bed early.

I'm going to be really busy at work this week, but we are going back to Salt Fork State Park to camp this weekend so I have that to look forward to.  I can't wait to spend some time in the sun and on the boat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's so crazy. I don't even know what I would do if I saw something like that.