Monday, February 1, 2010

Last post continued

As I had mentioned in my last post, I went to an auction on Saturday in Lancaster, about 30 mins south of where I'm living. My boyfriends mom and sister came with me and we were really pleased with the amount of nice things they had. Its nice to get to auctions early and browse through everything and get an idea of what you want to bid on. There weren't more than maybe 80 people at this auction as opposed to the last one where there was about 400 (it was a much larger auction than this though).

The piece I am the most proud of though is my pitcher and bowl. People used these before there was indoor plumbing and I really didn't come to this auction hoping to find one. For some reason it just struck my fancy and I decided to bid when it went up....and I was the only one that did. I got it for $5. When the auctioneers helper brought it over to me he told me what a great deal that was and that the set was made here in Ohio, I was even more thrilled!

I put it upstairs in my office on an antique dresser Andrew's mom gave us, it just seemed a fitting place and the colors go nice with some of the things I have in the office. After trying to do some research on the Akron Ohio China Company online I didn't find much, but I do know they were only around till 1908 so there is a good chance that piece is over 100 years old!

I got a few other items, a vase, fruit bowl, gold ware and a cake stand. Friday we're going to a more high end auction, where I probably will not buy anything but its fun to see how much items are going for.

Nothing else too exciting went on over the weekend, just some cleaning, relaxing and grocery shopping!

No comments: