Monday, August 2, 2010

One of my favorite things

Every summer since Andrew and I started dating we've made it a point to go the Ohio State Fair. I love the fair, not just because of the food but also the people watching and exhibits. We especially enjoy the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) area where we saw this beautiful bald eagle.
She had West Nile Virus and is now blind in both of her eyes. Just seeing one of these birds this close though was incredible. I saw one in mid-flight in the wild just a few weeks ago when we were in Indiana and we all broke out into singing "God Bless the USA" which I know is corny but that is literally how that makes me feel.
We also watched the Timber competition, which I must say I love! The running on logs bit is always a good one and these two guys were really good!

We also met an adorable Basset Hound at the dog agility show, she was about Bessies age and size and super sweet! We walked through and saw the beef cattle, sheep, ducks, chickens and turkeys as well and for the first time didn't eat any junk. Neither of us were in the mood for the greasy food and we had gone to another fair just a few nights before. We did have a lemon shake-up because they only taste good at the fair and for some reason this year seemed more fun than those past.

I even met a new boyfriend.....

Do you have any favorite summer events?

2 comments:

Lesley said...

If your new boyfriend has a sister, my youngest would LOVE to meet her! LOL He's a lego fanatic.

mypixieblog said...

What a beautiful bald eagle--didn't think she was real at first. That's awesome you were able to see one up close like that. Looks like you had a great time (cute new bf!).