Monday, January 23, 2012

The wedding dress

I've been going back and forth for months about my wedding dress. At first I wanted something short....
I was totally against strapless, having a train, and a skirt that wasn't really full. The first option was to have my mom make my dress so I bought a pattern similar to the dress above in the hopes that we could use her wedding dress to make a new dress. We knew it would be a lot of work but it sounded like fun.

Then I got away from the short dress idea and decided that something that went to the floor would be a little more formal for the church. My mom and I went to Wendy's bridal in Dublin and I tried on several dresses and many different styles. Once I saw what I looked like in a strapless dress my mind totally changed. It wasn't that bad and actually made my bust look smaller. I feel in love with the ruched look and a slight drop waste. Though I did like a few dresses at the first store we went to, I didn't want to jump into a decision right away.

My mom, dad and I made a plan to hit a few used/vintage stores a couple weeks later. So fast forward to this past weekend. Our first stop was a vintage bridal store.....nothing at all what I was expecting. It smelled of smoke, had no heat and they didn't have a single dress in my size. I started to feel sick when we left. I was so sure that I would find something there, I pretty much let everything ride on a vintage dress. Next up was a consignment store, she had beautiful dresses and one that I kind of liked but it was way too big and I couldn't picture what it would look like.

By this point, I was getting depressed and frustrated. Now all my hopes were riding on our last stop, Henris Cloud 9 or going back to Wendy's to buy the dress I wasn't so sure about. Upon walking into the last place, I noticed the prices were really high, but low and behold the sales lady found a dress left from a Black Friday sale that was discontinued and it FIT ME like a GLOVE!!! It even matched the veil from my mom's wedding dress. The best part was that it was on sale for $600 off the original price! When everyone started crying we all knew that it was the one!!

Now I feel like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I never believed that it would be so difficult to find the perfect dress!

3 comments:

jennifermariefrederick said...

I can't wait to see your dress Amanda! (I bought my wedding dress at Henri's too!)

Unknown said...

It can be a frustrating process, but I'm so glad you found that amazing dress and that you're happy!!

The Constant Complainer said...

My wife is addicted to "Say Yes to the Dress." LOL. Hopefully it's better for you than some of the folks on there.