Friday, September 14, 2012

I'm back - 8 days till "I do"

My trip to DC was a whirlwind to say the least of over 12 hour work days, lack of sleep and maybe a few nights of fun.  I was so exhausted by the end of the week that I could hardly keep it together.  Right now, I'm just trying not to think about the mistakes that I made and focus on the fact that I am home.  

But when I got home, things were not sunshine and roses (though getting to hug and kiss Andrew and getting to rub my dogs belly was pretty awesome) because just before I left my grandpa was put into hospice care.  He's been battling lung cancer since April of 2011 and is starting to loose his battle.  In a matter of just 10 days since I had seen him last he changed so much and it was really hard to see him yesterday though I know I needed to be there.  My brother and parents have been staying at the house every night just in case something happens, he is very restless and oftentimes confused and exhibiting most of the symptoms of someone at the end of their life.

When the hospice social worker came to visit us at my grandparents house yesterday it was really hard to keep things together.  This is supposed to be a happy time in my life, but its so hard to focus on the happiness when there is so much suffering and sadness.  I only got a few of my wedding related errands done yesterday because it was more important to be with my family.

So on that note, things are going to be really hard over these next 8 days.  This morning I am conquering the pile of laundry from my trip, running my usual weekend errands and getting some wedding errands done as well.  Tonight, I'll go visit with my grandpa again and tomorrow is my bachelorette party.  

Thoughts, prayers and encouragement are so appreciated from my readers as my family and I try to make sense of this sad situation. 

8 more days till I do!

2 comments:

K said...

So sorry that you are going through such a hard time so close to your wedding. I'll be sending thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Unknown said...

Life is so often bittersweet. You're in my thoughts and prayers!