Thursday, June 12, 2014

To my husband

This weekend will be Andrew's first Father's Day.  Even though he has to work on Sunday, I plan on trying to make the day special for him.  I had a few photo gifts made for him (will post pics after he see's them) and got him a subscription to the Dollar Shave Club.  My brother is having a small cookout at his house on Sunday to celebrate with everyone.  

To be quite honest, I never could picture Andrew being a dad.  Don't take that the wrong way, but he is the baby of the family and was never around babies growing up.  When his brother and wife had their first daughter 5 years ago, Andrew wouldn't even hold her!  I knew he would be a good dad, I just couldn't picture how he would be with a baby.  Thankfully, this guys a natural!!!!


I remember how amazing he was the whole time I was in labor.  He kept me calm, timed all of my contractions, held my hand, went to get ice chips for me a hundred times, snuck me bites of his food and drinks of his pop since I wasn't allowed to have anything but ice chips and rolled with the punches when they said I needed a c-section.  When he got into the OR however, he was a nervous wreck and I thought he was going to pass out.  Thankfully he pulled through and didn't drop to the floor.  When we got back to the room, after my mom left and the chaos calmed, I saw him cry for the first time in the six years I have known him, tears of pure joy and happiness that we were parents.  


He never left my side at the hospital.  He was supportive and helpful with the breast feeding.  He changed diapers, learned to swaddle from the nurses and always made sure I was comfortable.  


If I didn't already love Andrew more than anything in the world, seeing him with our daughter makes me love him even more.  I cry sometimes just seeing the bond between the two of them.  Andrew is an even more amazing dad in my eyes because he changed his work schedule to be home with Jeanette one day a week.  Not only does this save us money, but it's an amazing time for the two of them to bond.  Just the other day he came home from work and just scooped her right out of my arms because he could not wait to see her.  I remember when she was first born and we couldn't calm her down he would rock her and hold her little hands and that always seemed to make her happy and sometimes it still does.  


Happy First Father's Day!  Here's to many more to come! 

No comments: