Sunday, February 10, 2013

Our long weekend together

I had my first four day weekend since Christmas and I was not ready for it to end!  Thursday I spent running errands and taking the dog to the vet.  Turns out she still has an ear infection but is healthy otherwise and got her shots for the year.  I left her with Andrew's parents since we were leaving for Hocking Hills in the morning.

Friday morning we headed to the west side of Columbus to film a TV segment for 10TV about falling in love at the metro parks.  I'll post the link when it airs around Valentines Day.  It was really fun and I can't wait to see the final result.  We headed down towards southern Ohio afterwards, stopping in Lancaster for a late lunch at Waffle House (I totally blew my diet this weekend, but it was worth it) and stopped at the antique mall in Rockbridge, OH and found some neat things in the store.

We got to the cabin around 2:45pm and checked in, immediately got in the hot tub and relaxed till dinner time.  I cooked steaks, but the stove/pans were not working my favor and they got slightly overcooked.  Its never easy cooking somewhere new. 

Cabin in the Woods

Saturday morning we were up with the sun, I cooked breakfast and we headed out to Ash Cave to do some sight seeing.  There has been some weird weather in Ohio over the last month, snow, 65 degree days, more snow, rain, another warm day which means lots of melting and re-freezing.  Needless to say the untreated trails were nothing but ice and we had a really hard time walking around.  I do have ice cleats but they weren't even doing much good on the really slick ice and since Andrew didn't have a pair, we were screwed.  We made it through one of our other favorite places and decided to give up on walking the trails after lunch. 

Ash Cave - stop one for the day
Ice formation at the bottom of the falls



From the back of the falls

Cedar Falls, the second and last hiking spot
Falls at Cedar Falls, most powerful falls in the park
 

We drove about 15 minutes north to Logan, OH and did some more antiquing and found a great discount glass outlet that sells seconds of lots of Ohio made glass.  We came back around dinner time, ate some amazing Chicken Cordon Bleu and sat in the hot tub for hours talking, having a few beers/glasses of wine and just relaxing.

I could not have asked for more, it was wonderful getting away from the world, no internet, a TV that only gets 5 channels (your basic ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and WOSU) and cell phones with no service.  Its always an amazing time for us to reconnect.  I have been in dire need of some time away from life and technology so this weekend was just the ticket.  I was not at all prepared to come home on Sunday morning, though its nice sitting here snuggling with my kitty, catching up on the DVR and drinking in every last drop of this wonderful weekend.

We get another long weekend in about 3 weeks when we head to Detroit for Andrew's work awards ceremony.  He's up for mechanic of the year and I am so proud of him!

No comments: