Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What I didn't expect while expecting

I never thought much about what it would feel like to be pregnant, watching my body become something totally foreign to me had never crossed my mind.  I never thought about how I would get to having a baby, just the end result of holding a baby in my arms. I knew I would read lots of books and really prepare myself for what was to come, but I think no matter how much you prepare you may never realize.......
  • How forgetful you will really become or just plain stupid.  I tried to swipe into the garage at work the other day and still had my window rolled up resulting in me slamming my hand into the window several times.
  • You will be uncomfortable all the time.  I cannot sit still, I can't sleep in one position for more than 30 minutes, I can't sit on the couch at night or even sit in a normal position in the car if I'm not driving.
  • The amount of rude/bizarre/strange things that people will tell you....everyone will have a comment and an opinion to share.  My advice, just smile and nod.
  • How differently your husband will look at you.  Andrew has a funny way of showing that he cares and is very blunt and honest.  At the beginning of my pregnancy I felt fat like I'm sure most women do but he just kept saying it was for the baby.  Now that I am showing, he looks at me different, sort of like he did when we first met.  I told him I felt the baby move the other night and he ran over to put his hand on my belly.  Maybe he's more excited than I thought.
  • How differently your parents will look at you.  Someone told me that dad's have a funny way of thinking about their daughters being pregnant, like they still don't want to think about you being sexually active and now they have no choice.  My mom just can't believe that I'm pregnant and pretty much acts like she's the one having the baby.
  • That your sanity is in question all the time, along with your emotions.  I swear there are days when I think I've lost my mind, I can't remember anything and I feel like I'm walking around in a fog.  Other days, I just want to cry for no reason and jump on anyone who makes me angry.  The smallest things can send me over the edge and it makes me feel like an awful person.  Blame it on the hormones!
  • How strange your body will feel.  At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was so incredibly tired and moody.  My boobs hurt, I had all these strange aches and pains and my sinuses were constantly full of pressure.  At the start of the second trimester, I started to feel better till the new symptoms started, back pain, leg cramps, hot flashes, frequent trips to the bathroom, hunger pains and sleepless nights. I wonder what the third trimester will bring.
  • That cravings and aversions to food are a real thing.  I have yet to crave food that I never wanted to eat before.  My mom always wanted brussel sprouts with my brother and now she can't even stand the sight of them.  I have craved everything from fruit roll ups to Chipotle (that happened before I was pregnant too) and steak to various UDF flavors of ice cream.  I could not eat chicken for the first three months I was pregnant and chicken wings are one of my favorite foods.  I've also come to hate pork and hot dogs.
I'm sure that more things will come to me as I progress along and today I'm 20 weeks and one day!!!  I'm going to wait till later in the week to do a bumpdate because we find out the gender tomorrow, assuming the baby cooperates at the anatomy scan!  I'm so anxious I can hardly stand it! 

2 comments:

Carol said...

Can't wait to see what you are having! The forgetfulness continues and actually I would say gets worse once baby gets here. I can't remember anything!!!

Shannon said...

When I was pregnant I had a huge aversion to chicken the entire time and I normally love chicken but just the thought made me nauseous. So weird. As soon as he was born it went away.