Friday, September 12, 2014

When you miss someone


Soon it will be 2 years since my grandpa passed away after a three year battle with lung and brain cancer.  Not too long ago, my grandma gave me a box filled with old pictures and the one above was inside.  I had never seen this picture before.  I think it was taken on a trip to Florida when I was three.  There aren't many pictures of just me and my grandpa.  I see so much of my dad in this picture and I see a lot of Jeanette in me as well.

My grandpa was put into hospice just three weeks before my wedding.  What was supposed to be the happiest time of my life was also one of the saddest.  We were married on September 22 and he died on the 27 while we were on our honeymoon.  I remember the call from my brother, the quiet drive back to Ohio, the tears and seeing my grandma for the first time.  

I miss him almost every day.  I think of how much he would have adored Jeanette, how much he loved Andrew, his jokes that I had heard a million times but still laughed at them, his mannerisms, the sound of his voice, how he stirred the ice in his glass of cheap whiskey and his laugh.

Just the other night Andrew and I were sharing stories of him and how he was like a second grandpa to Andrew.  I never got to meet Andrew's grandparents and I imagine he longs for them to still be around to meet me and to meet Jeanette.  He was a good judge of character and the fact that he took to Andrew so quickly really meant something.

I hope that he's proud of me and that he's watching over Jeanette.  I know that as she grows older, I will be sure to share my stories and memories of him with her.  

Love you and miss you grandpa.

1 comment:

Carol said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I was really close with my Nana and she died of cancer in 2007. I feel really sad that she didn't get to meet Nick or Kennedy but I know she's watching over us. I miss her so much, so I know the feeling!